- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian blend herbs/Italian seasoning (OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil + 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme + 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh thyme or parsley and cracked black pepper for topping (optional)
- Turn on Instant Pot using Saute/Brown mode. Add onions and butter to Instant Pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add oil, chicken breasts, and salt and pepper to taste. Brown on each side.
- Add seasonings and beef broth. Cook on high setting for 6 minutes. Be sure to seal the device. Allow to cool on natural release mode for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken. Turn Instant Pot to Brown/Saute mode. Add flour to broth and cook until thick. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Return chicken to broth. Top chicken with one slice of provolone each, one slice of Swiss, and 1/4 of the parmesan cheese. Cover with lid until cheeses are melted.
- Garnish with thyme or parsley and cracked black pepper and serve.
*Adapted from recipe found at http://www.crumbdelacrumb.com