- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pounds 94% lean ground turkey
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- Whisk all ingredients, except turkey in a large bowl. Once completely combined, add the ground turkey and use your hands, a rubber spatula, or wooden spoon to thoroughly mix. Once completely combined, form the mixture into 6 plump and compact patties. The patties will weigh around 6 ounces each and be a heaping 1/2 cup each.
- Place the patties onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, baking pan, or plate. Cover tightly then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours. This ensures the patties will hold their shape. You can also freeze the patties for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Clean the grill and grease with vegetable oil. Pour a little vegetable oil on a paper towel and carefully rub all over the grates. Preheat grill to high. Place cold turkey burgers on heated grill and cook for 5 minutes with the lid closed. Flip burgers over and cook covered for an additional 3 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C). If adding cheese, place a slice of cheese on the burger for the last 30 seconds. Overcooking the turkey burgers will quickly dry them out, so keep a close eye on them.
- Serve on hamburger bun with desired toppings.