- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ⅛ teaspoons Salt
- ½ cups Whole Milk
- 1 can (15 Ounces) Cherries In Syrup (NOT Cherry Pie Filling) Drained, Juice Reserved
- ½ cups Pecans, Finely Chopped
- 1 cup Juice From Cherries (add Water To Make 1 Cup If Necessary)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Unsweetened Freshly Whipped Cream
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously butter a square 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and mix well. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt then add to mixing bowl alternatively with milk. Add cherries and chopped nuts and mix gently. Pour batter into buttered pan and smooth out the surface. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown on the surface and no longer jiggly.
While cake is baking, make the sauce by combining cherry juice, sugar, and flour in a small saucepan. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thick. Turn off heat and stir in 1 tablespoon butter and vanilla extract.
Drizzle 1/3 of the sauce on the cake as soon as you remove it from the oven. Spread to distribute over the surface and wait ten minutes before serving so the sauce will seep into the top of the cake a bit.
Spoon out pieces of warm, sticky cake and top with unsweetened whipped cream.
Borrowed From: thepioneerwoman.com