- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, egg, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into 36 pieces and shape into balls. Place three balls each in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with additional butter.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.