- 1 1/2 cups broken thin pretzel sticks
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- Put 1/4 cup pretzels in a resealable plastic bag and crush into coarse crumbs with a rolling pin.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk the egg yolks, honey, vanilla and fine salt in a medium bowl, then add to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour and pretzel crumbs and beat until just combined.
- Put the remaining 1 1/4 cups pretzels in the resealable bag and roughly crush with the rolling pin; spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough on top and roll into balls, pressing so the pretzels adhere. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange the cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets; make a deep indentation in each with your thumb. Bake, switching the position of the pans halfway through, until lightly golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Re-indent with the back of a teaspoon, if necessary. Let cool 3 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely. Fill each indentation with caramel sauce and sprinkle with sea salt.
*Photograph by Johnny Miller