- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- powdered sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9″ cake round—set aside.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar until very pale and fluffy. For best results, use a Kitchen Aid mixer on high setting for five minutes. If you don’t have a Kitchen Aid, beat by hand until very thick.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil and lemon juice into the eggs and sugar mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and zest. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure you get down to the bottom of the bowl so everything is incorporated well.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan slightly before inverting onto a cake plate and dusting with powdered sugar.