- 5 good quality bratwurst sausages
- 24 oz beer or other liquid
- 2 large onions, halved, peeled and sliced
- 1 pat butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place bratwurst, beer and onions in a saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Allow to stand at least 30 minutes.
- Remove bratwurst from beer, strain onions and discard beer. heat a saucepan over moderate heat (this can be done on the grill) add butter and onions and cook until just browned. season with salt and pepper as desired
- Grill bratwurst until nice grill marks have formed and sausage is warmed through. (I cooked mine for about 4-5 minutes on a medium grill.I turned each brat after 2-3 minutes.)
- Place brats on buns, garnish with onions, add condiments according to your tastes.