Oven-Fried Chicken Ingredients
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 large egg whites, beaten
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.)
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup cornmeal
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
• Cooking spray
- Whisk buttermilk and egg whites in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Place one piece of chicken in the bag and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared rack. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Discard any leftover flour mixture and buttermilk marinade. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes; turn the pan and bake 20 minutes longer, or until chicken is brown and crispy.
Buttermilk Waffle Ingredients
• 2 cups flour
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 large eggs
• Cooking spray, for waffle iron
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, vanilla and eggs; add the flour mixture, and mix until batter is combined. Do not over mix – there should still be some lumps.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with cooking spray. Using a soup ladle, spoon a ladle full of batter into the waffle iron and close the lid. Cook until golden brown about 4-5 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm for a few minutes in a low heated oven.
Maple Gravy Ingredients
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1-3/4 cups chicken stock
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- Heat butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly 2-3 minutes until flour turns golden brown. Slowly whisk in stock. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly until gravy thickens (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in syrup. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve.
TO ASSEMBLE CHICKEN & WAFFLES
- The idea is to get all of the amazing flavors in one bite! Stack a piece of chicken on top of a waffle and drizzle with generous amounts of maple gravy. Garnish with fresh rosemary or a little hot sauce, if desired.