This is absolutely, positively, AMAZING! The cabbage slaw ROCKS it!
- 4 pounds pork roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces beer
- 2 cups sliced green cabbage
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- a bunch of (4-inch) tortillas, for serving
- cotija cheese, for crumbling
Cilantro Avocado Cream
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced + zested
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- The recipe didn’t call for this, but I added 3/4 teaspoon of sugar.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Cover the pork with the salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Sear the pork on all sides just until it is golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the pork and place it in the crockpot. Pour your favorite beer over top, cover and cook for 8 hours on low. After 8 hours, remove the top and pull the pork apart with tongs or forks. I toss it well with the beer and then cover it and let it cook for another 15 minutes or so. You have to really toss the meat with the juice to combine everything. Taste the pork and season it additionally if desired.
- To make the slaw, add the cabbage to a large bowl. Toss it with the sweet chili sauce and the lime juice, adding in a pinch of salt. You can make this a few hours ahead of time and keep it in the fridge if desired.
- To make the avocado cream, add the avocado, lime juice and zest, sour cream or yogurt and the cilantro to a food processor. Blend until pureed and creamy.
- Assemble the tacos by adding some pork to each tortilla and covering it with a drizzle of the avocado cream. Add the slaw on top and crumble on a bit of cheese.