- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 20 ounces hot Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring to crumble sausage.
- Add sage and tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and beans, and cook 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, or follow freezing instructions.
TO FREEZE: Cool soup to room temperature; seal in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Lay bag flat in freezer; freeze up to 2 months.
TO THAW: Microwave soup in bag at MEDIUM (50% power) for 4 minutes or until pliable.
TO REHEAT: Pour soup into a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated (about 20 minutes).
*Cooking Light, March 2014