- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces canned chunk light tuna drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in tuna, peas and 1/2 cup Parmesan until evenly incorporated. Then, stir in the noodles (the pan will be very full). Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the casserole with breadcrumbs and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Broil until bubbly and lightly browned on top, 3 to 4 minutes.