- ¼ cup milk
- 2 slices bread
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth (64 ounces)
- 1 15-ounce can white Northern beans or other small white bean, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups kale (about 1 pound)
- Add milk to a large mixing bowl then tear the bread into chunks and add to the milk to soak. Add the turkey, shallot, garlic, nutmeg, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, cheese, parsley and egg and gently mix with your fingers until the mixture is combined. Use a small scoop or melon baller to form ½ inch balls.
- Add the broth, beans, carrots, onion and kale to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Drop the meatballs onto the kale, cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until the meatballs float to the surface.
- Serve the soup garnished with grated parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and fresh parsley leaves.