- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla bean, scraped)
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, oil, buttermilk, ricotta cheese and vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together until flour is just incorporated.
- In a small stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites just until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the batter just until incorporated. Let set for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon batter onto a lightly buttered pan or griddle over medium low heat. When bubbles lightly form and the bottom is set, flip gently (about 3-4 minutes). Pancake is ready when both sides are golden with barely crisp exteriors.
- Serve with powdered sugar, fresh fruit, maple syrup, jam, or lemon curd.