For sweet potatoes
- 22 ounces red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams; about 2 large), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Make sweet potatoes:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; transfer potatoes to large bowl and add butter. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Add egg, sugar, spice and salt; beat to blend. Transfer mixture to 8 x 8-inch baking dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.) Bake potatoes until beginning to brown around edges and slightly puffed, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare topping:
Mix together all ingredients in medium bowl.
Spoon topping evenly over potatoes. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes longer.
*Bon Appétit, October 1997