- 1 cup (2 sticks, 16 tablespoons) butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) good-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled to room temperature
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, whip the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar (so it doesn’t fly everywhere!) and mix until well-combined and the frosting is creamy, 3-4 minutes. Blend in the vanilla.
- Drizzle in the cooled melted chocolate and whip the frosting on medium speed until it is creamy and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Frost away!