My first attempt at making AFC without a box!
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix flour and 3/4 cup sugar until blended.
- Add seeds from vanilla bean (or extract if using), cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently transfer batter to an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 45-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, seeds from vanilla bean (or extract if using) and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread glaze over cake, allowing some to drip down sides.
*Taste of Home, April/May 2015