- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (I used walnuts instead.)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and fresh ground pepper
- Blend the basil, pine nuts (walnuts), cheese, and garlic together in a food processor or blender. Pour oil in slowly while still mixing (or a little at a time, then mix, then more oil, then mix again, etc). Scrape down the sides, then add lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until everything is blended together and relatively smooth. Taste and add more salt/pepper if desired.
- Make ahead/storing: Store leftover pesto in a jar, tightly seal, and refrigerate for up to a week. Freeze the pesto for up to 2-3 months. You can freeze it in greased ice cube trays and thaw small portions at a time.