- 3 whole Eggs
- 1/4 cup Half-and-half (I used 2% milk.)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 4 slices Whole Wheat Bread (or Any Bread)
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 stick Salted Butter, Melted (I used canola oil.)
- Softened Butter And Maple (or Pancake) Syrup, For Serving
- In a pie pan, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, half the sugar, and half the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate pie pan, stir together the panko breadcrumbs with the rest of the sugar and cinnamon. Use a fork to stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter so that the crumbs are slightly moist. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the rest of the melted butter over medium-low heat.
- One by one, dunk the bread in the egg mixture (turning to coat), then lay them in the dish with the panko crumbs, turning them over and pressing them gently so that they stick and totally cover the surface.
- Place them into the skillet with the butter and let them cook on the first side for 5 to 6 minutes, watching closely to make sure the crumbs don’t burn. (If they start to darken too fast, turn the heat slightly lower and watch.) Turn them over and let them cook for 3 minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the pieces to individual plates and serve with butter and syrup. Delicious!