- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, tied with a string
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves, left unpeeled
- Heat oven to 300°F .
- Coarsely chop tomatoes with kitchen shears to break them up.
- Put roast in an ovenproof 4- to 5-quart heavy pot or a casserole dish with a lid .
- Pour tomatoes over roast and scatter garlic around it. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Braise in middle of oven, covered, until very tender, 3 to 4 hours. Cut roast into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, polenta, or egg noodles.