- 2 (16 oz total) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
For the Salad:
- 6 cups chopped romaine or red leaf
- 1/4 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup zesty avocado cilantro buttermilk dressing (See directions below)
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and season with taco seasoning and cumin. Pour the beans over the chicken and top with salsa.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until the chicken is tender and easily shreds with 2 forks. (I used frozen chicken breast, so I cooked on low for 8 hours.) Shred the chicken and combine with the beans and sauce, keep warm until ready to eat. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
- To make the salad, place 1 1/2 cups lettuce on each plate, top with 3/4 cup chicken and bean mixture, 1 tbsp cheese and 2 tablespoons zesty avocado buttermilk dressing.
AVOCADO BUTTERMILK SALAD DRESSING RECIPE
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed, leave them in if you want it spicy
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 medium haas avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped scallion
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR DRESSING
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. For a thinner dressing add more buttermilk, for a thicker dip use less.