- 3 Tbsp butter
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I even used skim)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 26-ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 cups of lightly crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and onion. Cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and milk to the mixture. Add each one slowly while whisking.
- Add the salt, pepper and thyme and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce then simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth.
- Fold in the thawed hash browns until well combined.
- Then in the sour cream. Spread the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the mixture.
- Bake at 325 for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly.