- 1.25 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white-whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 5 ounces greens of your choice (I used a mixture of spinach, collards and baby kale)
- 2 cups lowfat milk
- salt and pepper
- Cook Italian sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until browned, crumbling it as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a separate plate and set aside. Reserve two tablespoons of grease in the pan, discarding the rest.
- Stir in onions and carrots, and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour until it’s evenly coating the veggies, and cook for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tortellini, spinach, and milk, and continue simmering for 4-5 minutes, or until the tortellini is al dente.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.