tasty, quick, and uncomplicated
the perfect weeknight dinner
- 1 lb (2) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, halved and divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 18 white corn tortillas (I used whole wheat.)
- 3 cups salsa verde, jarred or homemade
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- sour cream, optional to serve
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a stock pot along with 1⁄2 an onion and salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes. (While I was at work, I cooked the chicken breasts in a slow cooker, set to low, with about 1/3 cup of chicken broth. This made the prep faster. Always important on the weeknights!)
- Remove chicken from the water (or slow cooker) and let cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Mince the remaining onion and add to the shredded chicken.
- In batches, place 6 tortillas on a microwave safe dish and microwave 40 to 50 seconds to make them pliable so they don’t crack. Keep them covered with a dish cloth to stay warm, then working one by one dip each warm tortilla in green salsa. Scoop two rounded tablespoons of chicken into each tortilla and roll tightly. Place in a large casserole dish, seam side down, in a single layer. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Drench entire pan with 1 cup sauce and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake, covered in oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top. Serve with sour cream or additional queso fresco, if desired.